Table of Contents
How Our Pest Control Can Come In Handy During A Flea Infestation?
Nearly every human being has encountered a flea at some point in their life. Whether the flea was discovered on an animal, in the grass, or buried in a pet’s bedding, the encounter can be extremely disturbing for everyone involved. Scientists have identified around 2,200 species of fleas over the past 100 decades. One particular flea species that is drawing a lot of attention in San Francisco is the “cat flea.” Do not get too excited just yet because the cat flea’s interest is not limited to the feline (cat). Nope, cat fleas have been reportedly attacked canines, deer, raccoons, opossum, foxes, and cats.
San Francisco Reports Of Flea Sightings
As mentioned previously, the cat flea “Ctenocephalides felis” is the most commonly reported flea sighting in San Francisco. The cat flea is not much different than other flea species. The adult grows up to one-eighth of an inch in length. The flea has an amazing jumping capability. A study focusing on the flea’s jumping capability revealed the average distances of seven inches and up to five inches horizontally.
The flat body allows the insect to maneuver easily and quickly through animal fur, grass, and other materials. The insect’s physical features allow them to avoid detection and capture by human fingers.
What San Francisco Residents Need To Know About Flea Bite Characteristics
The flea bite transfers saliva to the victim’s skin, resulting in an allergic reaction. Most flea bite allergic reactions are mild while only a few end in anaphylaxis, a very dangerous allergic reaction. Flea infestations left untreated in animals can lead to anemia or blood loss and death.
The flea species have also been associated with tapeworms in humans and pets. In humans, tapeworm infestations are generally the result of ingesting an infected flea egg or larvae.
Tips To Prevent A Full-Blown Flea Infestation In San Francisco
Unfortunately, flea infestations are not always easy to avoid. This is especially true for those living in areas where flea breakouts have been reported. If you are caught up in a flea infestation breakout, you can still scathe by but only if you take action now. To jumpstart your effort, a list of flea prevention tips is provided in the content below.
- Avoid adopting a pet until you are fully capable and willing to take on the responsibility
- Develop a flea treatment for your pets, utilizing anti-parasitic medicine, shampoo, and powders
- Routinely mow your lawn to help maintain low humidity levels at the ground flour
- Install signs around your property to deter family members, friends, and neighbors from feeding wildlife
- Install metal or wood barriers around your decks, porches, sheds, gardens, and garages to keep wildlife out
- Develop an inspection plan targeting your pet’s living quarters and bedding
- Develop a cleaning schedule for your pet’s bedding
- Routinely vacuum your entire home to remove flea eggs and larvae to prevent the future enhancement and spreading of the infestation.
Reach out to our San Francisco exterminators with your unanswered flea questions.